8 to 10 servings
From the Executive Kitchen of Salad Savoy Corp.:
3-1/2 pounds Carnival® Multi-Color Cauliflower, cut into florets (about 8 cups)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups half-and-half
7 tablespoons prepared white horseradish, divided
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
Ground nutmeg to taste
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 cup (about 4 ounces) packed grated Fontina cheese
1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cups fresh French bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Steam the cauliflower for 7 to 9 minutes, until crisp-tender, then transfer it to a 9″ x 13″ glass baking dish.
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the flour and stir for 2 minutes (do not brown). Gradually whisk in the half-and-half. Cook until the sauce boils and thickens, whisking constantly, for about 4 minutes.
- Mix in 5 tablespoons horseradish and the vinegar. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the cauliflower and mix until cauliflower is well coated. Sprinkle with the Fontina cheese.
- In a medium-sized heavy skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Mix in the mustard and remaining 2 tablespoons horseradish. Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring, for about 9 minutes, until the crumbs are golden. Sprinkle over the cauliflower.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until the cauliflower is heated through.
This is a great make-ahead dish. If you’d like, put it together 1 day in advance through Step 4 then cover and keep chilled until ready to finish with Steps 5 and 6.